Thursday, September 15, 2011

9/11 Remembrance: What Hollywood, Viewers Are Saying

As the names of the nearly 3,000 who died ten years ago on September 11 were read at ground zero Sunday, the industry from Hollywood to New York City all stopped to remember. 

Ashton Kutcher put his foot in his mouth when he tweeted about the start of Sunday NFL games today. He quickly deleted the twitter post below after his followers pointed out his bad timing, but left it up on his facebook page:

"This without a doubt the greatest day of the year! Hello football my old friend. Let's us mingle for the next 5 months. TY #NFL TY #Jesus"

(Paul Simon had just performed “The Sound of Silence” at the 9/11 memorial service Saturday morning, with the lyrics, “Hello darkness my old friend.”)

STORY: Paul Simon Performs at Twin Towers Memorial Service (Video)

Kutcher quickly backpedaled:

aplusk ashton kutcher
I got mad respect for the people that suffered in 9/11. Pls don't twist my enthusiasm. / Hindsight...Yeah, that was probably a poorly worded tweet.

PHOTOS: Hollywood Answers 'Where Where You on Sept. 11?'

richardroeper Richard Roeper 
True coincidence: on 9/10/01, I wrote a column asking, "What would you do if you were on a plane you knew it was about to crash?"

Twin Towers Attack Anniversary: How the Media Is Covering

roccodispirito Rocco DiSpirito 
Watching 9/11 families. Emotional & poignant. Hope memorial reminds us how important it is to be kind, generous & dignified no matter what.

BrianLynch Brian Lynch
And even though it's been altered, NYC still has the greatest skyline in the world.

@ChrisCuomo Chris Cuomo 
#Sept11 -my exp is irrel, but I will say this: I proposed in days after [to Plum Hamptons editor Cristina Cuomo]. Got msg to live my life to fullest. Now. wedding 2 mos later.

STORY: Soulja Boy Removes Controversial Anti-Military Song From New Album

souljaboy Soulja Boy ? 
God thanks for waking me up to see another day. Bless everybody especially those affected in the tragedy of 9/11. Gone but never forgotten.

VIDEO: Soulja Boy Tell 'Em Dissed Right Back by U.S. Military

The Al-Qaeda parody twitter account tweeted to its nearly 40,000 followers that they would be ending the account today:

alqaeda Al-Qaeda 
Today seems like an appropriate day to finally retire the @alqaeda parody account. Thanks for following. Bye.

simonhelberg Simon Helberg 
Remembering this day for the bravery and the power to come together. Also for a great man, John Ritter.
(The actor passed away on September 11, 2003.)

STORY: 9/11 Anniversary: The Touching Story Behind Showtime's New Paul McCartney Documentary

StyleWriterNYC Laurie Brookins 
Today and every day, passionately, fervently, fiercely proud to call myself a New Yorker. Amid great loss, they only made us stronger.

mrjoezee Joe Zee 
I get up, get dressed & head to work today, exactly as I did 10 yrs ago, but that day changed our country & our lives forever. Never Forget.

Andy Cohen
Wishing everybody a peaceful day of remembrance. Never forget 9/11.

PeterDavisNYC Peter Davis 
It's 9/11 - a day for Muslims, Christian, Jews and all faiths to come together as ONE. We are ALL the same. #PeaceOnEarth

DVF DVF 
SAD day...but we must go on, celebrating love . hope and life ! love Diane

Kevin Smith, actor/screenwriter/producer/director, wrote a series of tweets, starting from remembering where he was ten years ago when he first learned of the attacks.

ThatKevinSmith KevinSmith 
10 years ago, I was fast asleep in Toluca Lake when my Mom called, yelling "We're under attack!" I stumbled out of bed and turned on the TV. / Nearly every morning of my life growing up in Jersey, I could see the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center across the river from Highlands. / When I was a kid, I had a poster depicting KING KONG atop the towers, fighting jets. A quarter century later, real horror hit the buildings. / And I didn't move all morning. Like most of the world,@JenSchwalbach & I were glued to the television, watching live as the buildings fell. / Back home in Jersey, @BryWaltQ volunteered as shuttle drivers for all the ash-covered, shellshocked folks put on the ferries later that day. / We'd drive home to Jersey a few weeks later. During the trip, the patriotism on display was intense: we saw flag-tagged semis EVERYWHERE. / We were listening to Springsteen when we saw the 18-wheeler spray painted w/ "YOU CAN TAKE OUR BUILDINGS BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!" / When we got home, I did what I could: I emceed both a comic artwork auction & the Count Basie event benefitting Monmouth County families. / Harvey Weinstein put together the Concert for NYC at Madison Square Garden and asked a few filmmakers to make shorts celebrating New York. / This is the short we did for the Concert for NYC:youtube.com/watch?v=jwTj0l… You might recognize Baby@JoeQuesada & Baby @JenSchwalbach in it... / My heart goes out to all the families and friends of the people in both the planes and the buildings who were murdered 10 years ago today.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment