Saturday, May 21, 2011

Jean Racine

1 - 2

A noble heart cannot suspect in others the pettiness and malice that it has never felt.
Jean Racine

A tragedy need not have blood and death; it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Jean Racine

According as the man is, so must you humour him.
Jean Racine

Do not they bring it to pass by knowing that they know nothing at all?
Jean Racine

Hell, covering all with its gloomy vapors, has cast shadows on even the holiest eyes.
Jean Racine

How good is God! How sweet his yoke!
Jean Racine

I am a man, and nothing that concerns a man do I deem a matter of indifference to me.
Jean Racine

I embrace my rival, but only to strangle him.
Jean Racine

I have everything, yet have nothing; and although I possess nothing, still of nothing am I in want.
Jean Racine

I have pushed virtue to outright brutality.
Jean Racine

I know the disposition of women: when you will, they won't; when you won't, they set their hearts upon you of their own inclination.
Jean Racine

If I could believe that this was said sincerely, I could put up with anything.
Jean Racine

In fine, nothing is said now that has not been said before.
Jean Racine

Is a faith without action a sincere faith?
Jean Racine

It behooves a prudent person to make trial of everything before arms.
Jean Racine

It is a maxim of old that among themselves all things are common to friends.
Jean Racine

Justice in the extreme is often unjust.
Jean Racine

Love is not a fire to be shut up in a soul. Everything betrays us: voice, silence, eyes; half-covered fires burn all the brighter.
Jean Racine

Many a time a man cannot be such as he would be, if circumstances do not admit of it.
Jean Racine

My death, taking the light from my eyes, gives back to the day the purity which they soiled.
Jean Racine

1 - 2



Biography
Type: Dramatist
Nationality: French
Born: December 22, 1639
Died: April 21, 1699

Links
Find on Amazon: Jean Racine
Related Authors
Jules Renard
Antonin Artaud
Eugene Ionesco
Alexandre Dumas
Jean Genet
Pierre Corneille
Jean Giraudoux
Marcel Pagnol
More French Dramatist Quotes

Quote of the Day
Enjoy five great Quotes of the Day

Your Favorite Topics
Love Quotes
Life Quotes
Funny Quotes
Friendship Quotes
Wisdom Quotes
Motivational Quotes
Inspirational Quotes

Your Favorite Authors
Abraham Lincoln
Albert Einstein
Benjamin Franklin
Buddha
C. S. Lewis
Dalai Lama
John F. Kennedy
Mark Twain
Marilyn Monroe
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Maya Angelou
Mohandas Gandhi
Mother Teresa
Muhammad Ali
Ronald Reagan
Thomas Jefferson
William Shakespeare
Winston Churchill


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment