Thursday, March 24, 2011

Paul Cezanne

A puny body weakens the soul.
Paul Cezanne

A thousand painters ought to be killed yearly. Say what you like: I'm every inch a painter.
Paul Cezanne

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

An art which isn't based on feeling isn't an art at all.
Paul Cezanne

Art is a harmony parallel with nature.
Paul Cezanne

Don't be an art critic. Paint. There lies salvation.
Paul Cezanne

Doubtless there are things in nature which have not yet been seen. If an artist discovers them, he opens the way for his successors.
Paul Cezanne

For an Impressionist to paint from nature is not to paint the subject, but to realize sensations.
Paul Cezanne

Genius is the ability to renew one's emotions in daily experience.
Paul Cezanne

Here, on the river's verge, I could be busy for months without changing my place, simply leaning a little more to right or left.
Paul Cezanne

I allow no one to touch me.
Paul Cezanne

I am a pupil of Pissarro.
Paul Cezanne

I am more a friend of art than a producer of painting.
Paul Cezanne

I am the primitive of the method I have invented.
Paul Cezanne

I ask you to pray for me, for once age has overtaken us, we find consolation only in religion.
Paul Cezanne

I could paint for a hundred years, a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing.
Paul Cezanne

I have nothing to hide in art. The initial force alone can bring anyone to the end he must attain.
Paul Cezanne

I have sworn to die painting.
Paul Cezanne

I lack the magnificent richness of color that animates nature.
Paul Cezanne

I must be more sensible and realize that at my age, illusions are hardly permitted and they will always destroy me.
Paul Cezanne


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment