Thursday, January 27, 2011

Charles Lamb

1 - 2 - 3

A book reads the better which is our own, and has been so long known to us, that we know the topography of its blots, and dog's ears, and can trace the dirt in it to having read it at tea with buttered muffins.
Charles Lamb

A laugh is worth a hundred groans in any market.
Charles Lamb

A pun is not bound by the laws which limit nicer wit. It is a pistol let off at the ear; not a feather to tickle the intellect.
Charles Lamb

Anything awful makes me laugh. I misbehaved once at a funeral.
Charles Lamb

Asparagus inspires gentle thoughts.
Charles Lamb

Boys are capital fellows in their own way, among their mates; but they are unwholesome companions for grown people.
Charles Lamb

Cards are war, in disguise of a sport.
Charles Lamb

Clap an extinguisher upon your irony if you are unhappily blessed with a vein of it.
Charles Lamb

Credulity is the man's weakness, but the child's strength.
Charles Lamb

For thy sake, tobacco, I would do anything but die.
Charles Lamb

He is no lawyer who cannot take two sides.
Charles Lamb

Here cometh April again, and as far as I can see the world hath more fools in it than ever.
Charles Lamb

I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early.
Charles Lamb

I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb

I could never hate anyone I knew.
Charles Lamb

I have had playmates, I have had companions; In my days of childhood, in my joyful school days - All, all are gone, the old familiar faces.
Charles Lamb

I love to lose myself in other men's minds.
Charles Lamb

I'd like to grow very old as slowly as possible.
Charles Lamb

It is good to love the unknown.
Charles Lamb

Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
Charles Lamb

1 - 2 - 3


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment